WHEREAS, the City of Asbury Park (the “City’) has been requested to create a an additional handicapped parking space adjacent to property located at 1021 Third Avenue, in the City, on the Asbury Park City Tax Map, which handicapped parking space shall begin 269 feet west of the north/west corner of Third and Langford Street and extending 20 feet on center therefrom; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:4-197.5, a municipality may, by Ordinance, establish restricted parking space(s) in front of residences, schools, hospitals and other public buildings, and in shopping and business districts, for use by persons who have been issued special vehicle identification cards by the Division of Motor Vehicles pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 39:4-205, when using a motor vehicle on which is displayed a certificate, for which a special vehicle identification card has been issued pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:4-206; and
WHEREAS, the Asbury Park Police Department has reviewed and approved this request; and
WHEREAS, the City therefore wishes to designate an additional restricted parking space for use by handicapped person(s) at the aforesaid property, and to amend and supplement Section 7-36, entitled, “Handicapped Parking,” of Chapter VII, “Traffic,” of the “Revised General Ordinances of the City of Asbury Park, New Jersey,” accordingly.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE AND IT IS HEREBY ORDAINED, by the Mayor and City Council of the City of Asbury Park, in the County of Monmouth and State of New Jersey, as follows:
1. There is hereby established an additional restricted parking space adjacent to the property located at 1021 Third Ave, in the City, on the Asbury Park City Tax Map, which handicapped parking space shall begin 269 feet west of the north/west corner of Third and Langford Street and extending 20 feet on center therefrom, in accordance with the requirements set forth in this Ordinance.
2. The City Engineer is hereby designated to determine whether or not the said parking space and the erection of any signs associated therewith conform to the current standards prescribed by the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways, as adopted by the Commissioner of Transportation, and any other Department of Transportation rules and regulations governing parking spaces and signs, and shall certify his approval of the same to the Commissioner of Transportation in accordance with the requirements of N.J.S.A. 39:4-8.1.
3. The City is authorized to erect appropriate signage to designate the handicapped parking space established herein and may mark the street appropriately.
4. Any signs erected or street markings employed to identify the subject parking space shall clearly and conspicuously state “Parking for Handicapped Persons Only.”
5. Section 7-36, entitled, “Handicapped Parking,” of Chapter VII, “Traffic,” of the “Revised General Ordinances of the City of Asbury Park, New Jersey,” is hereby amended and supplemented to include the following:
Name of Street Side Location
Third Ave. West 1021 Third Avenue, in the City, on the
Asbury Park City Tax Map, which handicapped parking space shall begin 269 feet west of the north/west corner of Third and Langford Street and extending 20 feet on center therefrom
6. On or before January 15th of every year (or the first weekday thereafter), the applicant shall provide proof to the City of Asbury Park Police Department that the handicapped parking space is still needed at the subject property. A failure to do so may result in the City’s termination of the designated handicapped parking space.
7. The City reserves the right to terminate the designation of the within handicapped parking space at the City’s discretion.
8. All other Ordinances or parts of Ordinances that are inconsistent herewith are hereby repealed to the extent of such inconsistencies.
9. In the event that any portion of this Ordinance is found to be invalid for any reason by any Court of competent jurisdiction, such judgment shall be limited in its effect only to that portion of the Ordinance actually adjudged to be invalid, and the remaining portions of this Ordinance shall be deemed severable therefrom and shall not be affected.
10. This Ordinance shall take effect upon final passage and publication in accordance with the law.
11. A certified copy of this Ordinance shall be provided to the Commissioner of Transportation within thirty (30) days of the adoption thereof.